High Sierra: Skia

dav.is

dav.is

Skia is now a ten font family! (Apparently)

Does anyone please have the Skia fonts from Mac OS 10.13 ("High Sierra")?

Not sure whether these are one .ttc file or separate font files.

TIA.

parv

Actually, Skia is a TrueType GX variable font with 10 pre-defined styles. But if you use it as a variable font, you can also get all the versions in-between:

Florio
Actually, Skia is a TrueType GX variable font with 10 pre-defined styles. But if you use it as a variable font, you can also get all the versions in-between:

Does that work on Windows, too? - I converted the above Skia with Crossfonts and then installed it (a single .TTF file). Now I am getting showed a Bold weight only.

EDIT: Found this: "TrueType GX includes some Apple-only extensions to the font format" [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/truetype/history].

So my question would be, can this font be converted to 10 single weight fonts for PC?

dav.is

Fontlab VI opens it as Skia Ultracondensed-Extralight and exports it as such (though not all characters are that style). Don't know if there's a menu that finds rest of variations.

Found it - watch this space!!

parv

FontLab VI on the Mac opens it as Skia Regular and you can export it to OpenType variations. But it seems to choke on one of the styles (Skia Bold) - only 9 exported:

(not sure if the resulting fonts work on Windows)

dav.is

Have managed to export 9 of the 10 styles. It aborted at 9 styles, and the "Q" is missing from all styles. I have the first release of FL VI, maybe a later version will do better. Sorry parv - we were posting at same time!

Edit: Clearly parv's version has ironed out the Q issue. Oh - but he's on Mac.

https://workupload.com/file/4tpKhAYV

parv

In my export the Q is a problem too (contour in two parts), the contours should be merged in each style.

dav.is
(edited)

Just completed my own OTF conversions!! Cured the Q problem and other non-merged contours. Different renaming to Florio. Unicode corrected. My Ultrablack weight does not look good!

https://workupload.com/file/h9HzkKYS

​pass: type.is

Edited by dav.is
Missed parts of names of three styles - reupload

Sandman

What kind of font file is this? It came directly from my System font folder. When I looked at it in FontBook it showed all 10 styles, so I assumed it was a Mac tt suitcase, since it didn't use a different extension like .ttc.

Since neither FL 5 nor Smasher can extract anything other than a single font, it obviously isn't a font suitcase.

Sandman

Dammit...I was wrapped up in a project and got completely sidetracked by this topic.

I've read enough about Skia online that my eyes are starting to bleed.

From what I've read, Skia was an early attempt by Apple to create something (ATT) similar to Variable fonts. From what I've read, in Sierra and HighSierra, Apple gave up and went back to a 10 style family. From what you posted though...it still seems to be a Variable font. I haven't been able to find anything through Google about anyone being able to actually extract the individual styles with complete success.

FontForge apparently recognizes it as a MM font, but only show 9 styles.

Skia is an excellent example of Apple filling your system folders with crap...no programs that I've read about can recognize any of the Skia styles, except Regular. So why has Apple dropped a 500kb useless font into your system folders? It reminds me of hoarders..."Maybe someday it will be useful. Better hold on to it." :**

parv

I'm not sure if Apple's TrueType GX format complies with the new OpenType Variable fonts standard, but if it does, the Skia font might also work in Illustrator and Photoshop CC 2018 under OSX and Windows with all the variable functions that go with it.

The San Francisco system font in OSX is another example of the same technology (SFNSDisplay.ttf, SFNSText.ttf, SFNSTextItalic.ttf)

@ Sandman: you can use Fontview to properly preview variable fonts, and FontLab VI supports the format too.

https://github.com/googlei18n/fontview/releases

Sandman

Obviously read about it in the wrong Adobe forum...I was probably in the InDesign formum. InDesign only recognizes the Regular face. I’ll have see if I can find the discussion again, because what I read was that Skia does not conform to OpenType specs and that Adobe does not support it, as they don't support any 3rd party experimental font formats. I just tried it in Photoshop though, and indeed, all of the styles are available.

What threw me for a loop was, this is from MyFonts:

In later versions of Mac OS X, Apple replaced the single variable font with 10 conventional styles.

but I have also read essentially the same thing elsewhere. Since the version I posted is directly from High Sierra, that lead me to believe that it was no longer a Variable font, but some other concoction that Apple dreamed up, much like their .ttc format,

dav.is

How to create a Bold version!

N3Qty5a.png

Please note: The Ascender and Descender values in the end product will need adjusting. I would generate this but my problems with Q and some other glyphs containing circles continue. (Error Report https://workupload.com/file/xy4ZpVR7)

PS Apologies to Sandman for ever starting this thread. Unfortunately I have a problem-solving gene.