GTF MxMy

†Ryuk†

vicious
(edited)

I don't have the originals, but I've scraped together a quick WFR. Unfortunately Opentype feature customization and rescaling is a little beyond my knowledge level - I got an error about the font not being at 1000UPM when exporting the OT versions - but something is better than nothing. Original WOFF, TTF conversions, and VFB files included.

Edited by †Ryuk†

Sandman

You don't necessarily have to worry about the 1000 UPM error message. Type 1 fonts had a 1000 UPM limitation. That error message was built into FontLab Studio when it was first created. When otf started appearing on the scene, everyone assumed that, being an extension of PostScript, otf fonts had the same limitation...and that error message stayed in FontLab Studio. At some point a designer decided that a 1000 UPM didn't give him enough control over where his glyph outline's points were placed. (I don't think you'd be able to see the difference with the human eye unless type was set REALLY large.) He scoured the OpenType specs and found there was no limit for the UPM set. The general thinking changed to there being no limit to the otf UPM—just like the ttf UPM. It became the accepted opinion that the 1000 UPM doesn't apply to otf fonts. There are a few designers that now use a UPM than 1000 for otf fonts. Of course it was just an opinion...there now seems to be some software that generates unexpected results with a larger otf UPM. (Sorry, I can't recall what software had that difficulty.) Unless you happen to use one of those programs...a 1000 UPM shouldn't cause any problems.

Of course the other possibility is that the fonts were originally created as ttf, with a larger UPM and that the conversion to otf resulted in a large UPM.

vicious

I really appreciate your knowledge on the subject! I was wondering if it was OK to ignore that message because the resulting fonts seemed to work fine.

I was thinking that maybe the higher than 1000 UPM might have something to do with the source webfonts themselves, since all of the fonts from that specific source gave the same error message no matter what typeface. Either way it's good to know that there will be no problems!

I really want to learn more about how to properly create and modify typefaces and this forum has been an invaluable resource. Not to hijack the thread but I noticed in your posts on the forum that you tend to edit your typefaces before adding them to your library - fixing font names and adding features, etc. I am interested very much in doing the same thing. Having broken font families in Photoshop (10+ entries for one font, URW++ seems to be the biggest offender) is my biggest pet peeve in the world. Would you mind if I PMed you for some advice on this process since you seem to be the master around these parts? :)