Commercial Type Marian 1812 Italic

Pylon

Pylon

Commercial Type's initial Marian family (circa 2012) consists of 19 styles. I've always found it a little odd that the Italic counterpart of the 1812 weight is left out.

A9maOLJ.png

I'm hoping that the one missing cut of this classic typeface is just an oversight...

Pylon

Just a blanket cover image for the typeface... is this wf-r ≤ original? I'm assuming wf just because of the version metadata but I have been fooled before. Here's what I have from the Marian family.

http://workupload.com/file/V5H8sBZ

I must emphasize that this is much appreciated!

khaosliberation

Pylon... I'm not sure I have a 100% answer due to the exact specifications of typefaces are not always listed on a site such what myfonts.com catalogs... CommercialType/Schwartzco fonts are examples of this. The Marian 1812 Italic dickpape shared is from THIS share in 2013. This was PRIOR to CommercialType fonts being available as webfonts, so it was long assumed that the entire pack were originals (even though the internal naming of the fonts and version number are non-conventional from the pretty uniform naming practice of the foundry).

But, indeed the two sets of fonts are quite different.

The 2013 share's individual files are time-stamped 2012, way before webfonts from these boutique foundries made their appearance... yours are dated 2015.

The kerning tables are also different. The 2013 share for the 1812 Roman has 101,288 kerning pairs, while yours has 62,599. This, alone, does not suggest one version is correct, and the other not... the high number of kerning pairs is not always proof of originality. However, the 2013 share kerning pairs are quite organized and progressive, while yours jumps around a bit... so, for me personally, this is a clear indication that something quite different exists for these two shares. The internal naming of a font is important, but much more telling are the differences in kerning pairs.

There is also another difference. In the 2013 share, there is encoded a "Type 1 Unique ID Number" for each font. This was, generally, a hold-over from the conventions of PS Type 1 fonts.

So, the clues are so far not 100% conclusive. But my gut-instinct is that the 2013 share are indeed originals, perhaps made by the designer and sold to a client prior to that final step of applying the conventional naming methods to the files. Due to the specifics of the kerning tables of your files, however, it perhaps is the case that someone ripped those who was very good about conforming to the CommercialType naming conventions.

But absolutely, sandman and parv are way more detailed how they analyze the originality of fonts.

Hope this helps.

Khaos

Pylon

Yeah, it's always frustrating trying to validate fonts that aren't listed on myfonts with tech specs and file size. In the folder that I shared had Marian Display and Poster which I believe are corporate fonts created for The Daily Telegraph and were shared here by the illustrious davisfirs.

The two cuts of Marian Text were a last minute addition as I had found them hosted on a website - they could all be webfonts for all I know. Was meant to be a bonus for those playing along at home.

I went through and looked for the Commercial Type thread and the only Marian sets I came accross had didn't have the Italic cut. The 18th file is Marian Black which is an outlier (I guess) and never doesn't have a corresponding Italic style.

Not sure if that cleared up any confusion as I've gone and confused myself. I definitely appreciate the efforts of this wonderful community so far. Thanks gang!