Latest version of Charter contained in Mac OS

Gamma Ray Burst

Gamma Ray Burst

Requesting the version of Charter.ttc contained in the latest Mac OS or any version later than 10.01e1.

And maybe someone can answer the question, whether it is possible to buy a webfont license of the Mac/Apple version of Charter.

Hey, and I would like to know, if there are commercial clones of Charter with more glyphs than the basic version of the OpenSource version of Charter (released in 1992).

Gamma Ray Burst

Thanks, but that's the version I already had found. I don't know, if this is the latest version.

Gamma Ray Burst
Hope it helps!

Yes, it does. Thank you very much!

Sandman

Charter.ttc

https://workupload.com/file/NFLmhm5

Apple's Charter is based on Bitstream's Charter. There's also an ITC version of Charter.

Since Charter.ttc is installed with the OS, I believe it is free to use in any setting.

Gamma Ray Burst

Thanks. Just for info: That is also version 11.0d1e1. But it seems, that the are only very low differences between the version, that I already had (10.01e1) and version 11.0d1e1.

Apple's Charter is based on Bitstream's Charter. There's also an ITC version of Charter.

Since Charter.ttc is installed with the OS, I believe it is free to use in any setting.

But probably you are not allowed to use the Apple Charter as embedded webfont, even not, if you have licensed a Mac OS. I don't want to violate a font license on my website. That is too much risk.

Sandman

This is from the Lion licensing agreement...

F. Fonts. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use the fonts included with the Apple Software to display and print content while running the Apple Software; however, you may only embed fonts in content if that is permitted by the embedding restrictions accompanying the font in question. These embedding restrictions can be found in the Font Book/Preview/Show Font Info panel.

and I found this elsewhere...

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Limited License. Subject to the terms of this License, you may use the Apple Font solely for creating mock-ups of user interfaces to be used in software products running on Apple’s iOS or OS X operating systems, as applicable. The foregoing right includes the right to show the Apple Font in screen shots, images, mock-ups or other depictions, digital and/or print, of such software products running solely on iOS or OS X.

According to how I read that, you can't use it, unless you only use it on your website to showcase your iOS/OSX app, in which case it is free to use.

When I read your message I started digging into it. There's a lot of discussion about this topic online. Apple as usual seems to be totally unresponsive to enquiries.

My suggestion is, if you want to use Charter on your site, use the ITC or Bitstream ones.

Gamma Ray Burst
My suggestion is, if you want to use Charter on your site, use the ITC or Bitstream ones.

BT Charter Pro has the best hinting on Windows. But I am not willing to pay 50 Euro per style for maximum 10000 pageviews per month. Well, I would not have 10000 visitors, at least not in the beginning, but in my opinion the license is too expensive. Additionally I don't want to be limited with regard to modifications of the font like subsetting or supplements of own glyphs. And the website wouldn't be commercial. I am primary interested in BT Charter Pro because of the hinting. So I am searching for alternatives. If I decide for another version of Charter, I would have to engage myself in TrueType hinting, because although ttautohint produces good results – the hinting of BT Charter Pro is simply better, at least on Windows BT Charter Pro works better with regard to the rendering on screen.

All in all the web license models of Myfonts are rip-off in my opinion. You need one desktop license only for a book in an edition of a million or more copies, but you have to pay the same price for a webfont with a limited number of page views. This pisses me off though, especially in the context of Charter, because the basic Charter family is OpenSource and I don't necessarily need small caps for example.

(The rendering of the Apple version is very poor on Windows by the way.)

BlazerMan
(edited)

Best alternate as practically Most start-ups in SF does is to scramble webfonts.. yet use them..

If u need any help on that feel free to PM

Cheers!

EDIT

SF - San Francisco

Edited by BlazerMan
Abbreviated SF

Gamma Ray Burst
If u need any help on that feel free to PM

Lol, thanks for the offer. Although – I don't know, what SF and scramble mean in this context. Base64 encryption or something similar? If you know a trick, how I could bypass the licensing, I am naturally interested to hear it (via PN). But as far as I know, webfonts cannot be effectively protected from downloading, decryption, decompiling and so on. On the one side that is cool, because we can rip them. On the other side it is uncool, because the foundries can rip them likewise. But maybe I totally have misunderstood your sentence.

Gamma Ray Burst

@ hellosweetie

Because I came over Iowan Old Style and saw, that it is likewise a very legible and robust font, I am interested now in the other Sierra (or High Sierra) fonts, mainly because these MacOs versions of fonts contain more characters than the fonts, that you can license on myfonts. Some of them lack OT features (at least in the GSUB table), but they are a good supplement. And the big advantage is, that you don't have to care about licenses, if you publish a PDF, in which you have used these system fonts. I have printed a text set in Iowan Old Style today. What a great typeface in print.

hellosweetie
@ hellosweetie

Because I came over Iowan Old Style and saw, that it is likewise a very legible and robust font, I am interested now in the other Sierra (or High Sierra) fonts...

Sorry for the late response, Gamma Ray Burst! Here's a zip of everything

(minus the non-latin fonts) that's in my Fonts folder. Hope this helps! :)

Gamma Ray Burst

@ hellosweetie

Sure, it helps. Thank you very much!