Preview of new bobistheowl font series

bobistheowl

My new font series is based on Shepard Fairey's Obey Giant street art campaign. When completed, this series will have at least four fonts, and possibly as many as seven. I've already shared these privately with a few people, and I was waiting for Luc Devroye to post them on my homepage before making them more widely available, but Luc seems to be busy right now, and I'm going to wait a while before following up with him on that.

These are preliminary tests, so many of the glyphs will look better in the final versions of the fonts when I do some single pixel editing, These fonts are made from monochrome bitmaps, using MS Paint and ScanFont 3.13.

I've been trying a new procedure with many of the source graphics, editing full colour, 24 bit bitmaps directly to monochrome, pixel by pixel. It's a long process, (sometimes one glyph takes a full day!), but it gives outstanding results. I'll be redoing most of the glyphs I did in November, December, and early January, because the quality of the earlier ones isn't comparable to the ones I've done more recently.

These fonts will not work if you are using Windows Vista, and my work has a reputation for freezing the operating systems for some people, while others experience no problems viewing or using them. When I have completed the final fonts, I'll release alternate versions with the glyphs in the capital letters ASCII range instead of lower case. I am confident that this will solve the th Vista conflict problem, and at that point, they should be good to go on all operating systems. Rodolphe at dafont found that some of my fonts are compatible with Vista when the character set posistions are moved. The average size per glyph, (about 20 kb), is consistent with my fonts that are Vista friendly, such as KleinKarpets and the AmyBats series.

The fonts are available here:

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Obey test1&2.rar

test1 has 37 glyphs, a-z in lower case, numbers 0-9, and the exclamation point. test2 has 26 glyphs, a-z in lower case. These particular glyphs will probably not all appear together in the final versions. I'm hopeful that the complete series will be completed before May 1.

For those of you who would like to see these fonts, but are unsure of how they may affect your operating system, I have embedded both fonts into a Microsoft Word document, available here:

4shared.com - document sharing - download test1 & test2 character guides.doc

This document is safe to open on any computer which can handle an MS Word 2000 document.

Here are a few of the glyphs used in these tests. The 72 point size is about 93% as large as what you see below. I check the character guides at 200%/144 point size to see where I can make some minor improvements with some pixel editing. ScanFont isn't all that precise, so I don't know where to make revisions until after I generate test fonts. I think this is my best work yet, and I hope you will agree.

Thanks,

~bito

l_9a85cd1fa4e04125a93575b011da57ec.jpg

l_361c7375942d4fd8a10b94ae06ceac95.jpg

l_99636de44e05448abfe80e4515706912.jpg

l_4e6a6c78f3fe435a8240c78d6f5bfe80.jpg

l_c2081401bae14029843bbb2ccd30d203.jpg

l_1da130a80d224ac882faf771e337c594.jpg

l_fd684cdfeff34e25ae37159d9b007300.jpg